Last attempt at a post mortem was written in a state of stress and much tiredness.
This attempt shall hopefully not cover the same things as before, but still cover important information that I forgot to put into the last post.
I could just go and edit the last post….but that means reading it and moving things around and….no thanks.
Here is the fun of our project, complete and uploaded to the tube on You
Links for deliverables
As with most of our projects we had a fair few deliverables to hand in for this project.
Our project plan, asset list and art bible can be found at this link https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B5uER0a-d18oRm1adW85QnBFX28
This link holds our concept art and drawings for our first concept of the scenes https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B53d0l4klphMMTBfX1ZIOGJFdVk
The whole google docs folder can be found here
And it holds all our files, concept art, models and so on that we used.
Critical reflection on team behavior and performance
This section has a few different things to look at in it. firstly, several key points or issues of the project and their positive or negative aspects.
1:The projects first notable key point was getting the asset list finished and having people work on it. or say they would. at this point everyone assured that they would work on it and use it properly as outlined in the document. that they could work on it without deadlines and create all the assets without having to be pushed to get them done. Sadly they where wrong. Positive aspect is that I learnt that no matter peoples good intentions they need deadlines and reminders. Negative aspect is that we did not get all the assets created that we originally wanted to get done.
2:The second event was when we had reached a point of being able to show some of our work and it was noticeable what we where going for. We had to show some people, and the feedback we got was to create more of a story with how we created the overall project. This made us take a step back, rework all our ideas to fit a narrative better, that would create the feeling we where after more. In my opinion most of this was positive, the only negative thing was that we had to make some assets look different and got set back a little on time. but not by much as we where still ahead at this point.
3:The final event that really stands out to me was data loss on a massive level. Losing all of 2 scenes, which was devastating to say the least. The positive aspect of this (and it took me a long time to find one) was that the team member who was in charge of one of the scenes was forced to create it themselves, not rely on others to do it for them.
The negative, was that there was a lot of hours of work gone down the drain.
1:As much as I am loath to admit it; I feel the events that lead to the lack of deadlines and such falls on the project lead (Myself) as I have a tendency to want to believe the best of people. whilst this is not a bad thing in itself, it can lead to situations like this, where I take them at their word and don’t put fail-safes into position. Confidence is a good thing, but I believe I need to be more aware that peoples good intentions do not mean they can do what they say they can. Especially at the start of a project when stress has not kicked in yet.
2: In some ways, this event was simply caused by our lack of knowledge, but also partly a lack of foresight as well I guess. Whilst we did our best, we got so caught up on how to get the feel of what we wanted to across that we forgot to go for the narrative being told through the scenes.
3: I believe this comes down to 2 problems. one, being lack of data backups, and not enough of a plan for cases like this. The other is that some people need to learn to keep track of the backups that they do have. Whilst this may seem harsh, it was one large part of the reasons that our backup plans failed.
1:Solution, make sure to stick to a project plan standards, such as a deadlines for assets and milestones for things to be done. Ensure everyone is following them and make sure people are up to date in weekly meetings. Create a simple project plan that people can follow with ease, and one that will not be hard to navigate. Same sort of thing with an asset list and art bible.
2:Checking and double checking that the brief is being met is a good start. but also making sure to keep getting feedback from other people as it will help to create a better end product.
3:Better data backup plans, making sure to keep newer backups, and with people who wont lose them. one such plan I intend to use is to keep a backup of the latest version with all team members as well as online, and make sure I keep at least 4 iterations back in case all saves are corrupted.
Creative processes used
Our creative process was fairly simple really. After we decided on the style of the world. We made sure each of our assets would fit into it. sticking to having one person tick off all assets before they went into the scene.
Literally nothing from my chosen craft was used in this, and that is my one problem with these projects. they never touch on animation, nothing is put into that, as its hard enough to get a good looking scene in it. so as such, I feel that trying to workout what other approach could have worked is pointless
Reflection on roles in production process
I feel my performance was good, but could have been better in some ways. In getting people to do more of their own work, as well as making sure that the work was done on time.
But I did do much better at being a lead on the whole, and did much better handling peoples problems as they arose.