New toys!

Well, not exactly new, but new to me, and good fun. I have been learning to rig in maya, and have a growing knowledge of how it works. After having done rigging in 3DS Max its not too big a step  to pick up in Maya. a lot of it is just learning how to re do things in a new program with new shortcuts and the like. some things are much easier, and so far I am liking Maya for rigging so much more.

Normally I post with videos as I am much better at it, but I totally forgot and just wanted to update my progress while I am thinking of it. Been forgetting to do that way to much this trimester!

So, firstly. My first rig has been for a rooster. it has gone OK so far, learning basics such as making the bone system and creating basic IK systems and controls for the legs. Then I proceeded to skin it and test that, which worked well. Once I know some more I want to come back to this rig and put in a jiggle system for the roosters tail and also for its crest.

There are a few things I would like to learn to do with this rig eventually as well. such as see about spline controls so I can have custom attributes to control the curl of the roosters toes. However I am only allowing myself a certain amount of time per rig, and so can not do it this time. But I will be coming back to re make this rig with all I know as my final things this trimester.

The second rig i have made is for a Cat. Simple in many ways, and having many of the same needs as the rooster in the IK for the legs. however I added in some Spline IK for the tail to give better control over how it animates and looks. except it seems to be breaking right now…not actually sure why either. Maybe just to make it harder for me, cant have it working well all at once can we? And that was a simple fix for the issue. parent things the correct way and it may work properly….DOH!

The tail has been controlled using clusters made from the points in the spline system. it looks pretty chunky here, but that is okay as its not meant to be a super refined rig or model. If I was to be going for more refined I would create at least double the bones in the tail and use cluster to control it again.

For the cat I had to do some research on their skeletal system and how they work, as well as make sure that the muscles would look realistic when I skinned them.
I did this by looking at a few anatomy websites, and one picture in particular was of good help with this.

Yes, I am aware that the website says it is for kids, but it helped so stop smirking! Also, going into too much depth is just confusing. so it was really good. some things, such as around the face, did not bother me too much as it has not been modeled in a way that it will need to use facial features too much at all.

The next rig I make will be for a Dog, and I will be trying to get some facial controls working on it, mostly just for twitching noses, but it is always a good thing to know how to do!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s