Mortem-Pole for the building a world

As with most projects, once they are done the students need to write a post mortem. It is actually something I enjoy, reflecting on how everything went, and what has been done well or not. This particular post mortem is for our world builders project, which was to take a scene from a book and make it in 3D. we also had to make a narrative for the story that. There are so many things I would like to say about this, so I will do my best to make it legible.

For this project each team member (Of which we had 4) had to create their own shot of the created scene which was the Witches house in Hansel and Gretel.
As seems to be normal, I was project lead, but also did a lot of the modelling and scene construction in Unreal. As with many of the projects, its difficult to get anything that actually touches on the specialization I would like to chose, which is actually animating things, creating rigs, and the more technical side of things. I got to do a small amount of this in unreal, but a lot of it was just to place things in the scene.
I feel that we managed to hit the brief fairly well, and would have been capable of delivering the product on time according to the first documented due date.
One of the major things that went wrong during this project was the loss of many weeks work. there where backups made, but the people with those backups did not know where they put them and so many weeks of work was lost, which was rather disheartening. however it was a valuable lesson to us all to make sure that backups are made and kept in safe places with people who will not lose them.

Our team, for the most part worked well together. However some people did not pull their weight. which was disappointing. This forced a lot of work onto others that should not have happened. As lead I had to talk to these people and ask them to do more. some responded well and did start to get a lot of work done, however some did not and had excuses as to why they could not do the work.
However despite this I feel I have done better as a lead this time. I delegated better, as well as spoke to people about doing what they needed to better, and more calmly.
I feel the level I got my documentation too this project was much better as well. Between this project and the final project I have got much more efficient at doing documentation. My timelines are doing better, as well as being able to create asset lists and time tables much more comprehensively. whilst I tend to use the same methodology, I have been getting better at deciding between them, and changing the way the work to make them better for a project. For this project we used an agile methodology, which worked fairly well. However one thing I did learn was that people will not get things done with out solid deadlines. and even then, they have to be made to check the deadlines constantly to ensure they are met. Which is possibly one of the less fun things to have to do. All of the documentation we used can be found here
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B8GX7u2ae-EScjNzdUtoamxGS3M

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s