And so the new Trimester begins!!
I am loving being back to studying, and one of the first things I get to do is be one of 3 people in charge of a group of minions. This is something I have wanted to do for a while and am super loving it so far. It is, of course, not without its challenges, but that’s okay, nothing that is easy is fun.
So far we are in the planning stages of setting up our documentation and file sharing systems. Also, as we have been given a “budget” in the way of time constraints we have set up a time sheet, which was originally in a excel spreadsheet, but has been moved to toggl due to the fact that its much easier to be more accurate with time on it.
Some other things we have set up are a slack channel for easy communication to the group, Google Drive for file sharing and easy documentation access. we also have a Pinterest board should it be needed for mood boards or anything else picture related such as research.
Project is now complete, well, as of midnight tonight. our management system was slightly effective. our biggest problem being we did not manage to press on the helpers how much they needed to look at the documentation and as such we had a lot of problems with having to explain to them things already in the project plan and art bible. Honestly I am not sure what we could have done to improve this, as I think it was not really so much a flaw in the documentation.
one thing I think we could have done better is to increase the information we put in there, such as making sure any still images are saved with alphas for ease of use.
Pressing the importance of the naming conventions was hard to do and so things got a bit confusing towards the end as everything was a bit messy and oddly named.
There was also the issue of asking the 3D animators/Modelers if they could unwrap something and them saying yes, which I took to mean they where competent at doing so. I was wrong. Next time I have to manage a project I will have to make sure I get examples of previous work so I can see their abilities first hand and know what I can push them in to get them to work to the best of their abilities.
All in all I am happy with how the project turned out, it was a bit muddled in there, but I have learned many valuable lessons along the way, even if I find it hard to remember exactly what they are now. I know next time I will be able to do a much better job due to this project